Electrical Wiring in the Home/Tesla car wiring

Question
Hello,

I need an outlet for Tesla car like this that requires 50 amp
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconne

but eventually will be upgraded to 100 ampm sevice
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector
I was wondering if if the wire for both is the same and if I need a 100amp service braker will work for 50 amp and what is best to install now? Thanks

Answer
You are killing me,  I tried to figure a way into a Tesla,  after all I have repaired and designed three phase motors forever,  and the Tesla technology is so pure and straight forward it is beyond imagination,    sometime if you find  minute you have to tell me about the car and your experience.

Now to your question, with a question.  Why not skip the 50 amps and go for the 100 right away?  My guess is you are shy of power from your existing main?

Any chance you will be doing the majority of the charging at night?

If there is a way you can make sure you are not using maybe just a few devices while charging you might be able to adjust your loads to allow for the 100 without much fuss at all.

It just seems likes a waste to do 50 now and 100 later.

I think that answers your question,  but if not  YES   just like anything else,   a swimming pool pump on 110 that draws 10 amps  will draw 5 on 220,  however contrary to many fables, 220 does not save on POWER  it does allow for smaller wire, boxes and so on,  but POWER IS POWER.

The advantage of charging the batteries with twice the current is time. Period.

I was hoping I could show you a way to start with 50 then add another wire in parallel and avoid replacing the entire station,    and you can partially.

If you look closely at the different cords,     http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging    The plug that fits the car is the same on all of them.

It looks like adding another cable to the car plug would be a trick,  BUT if you start with the 100 amp plug  and cord   but only feed it 50 amps [40] constant I see no reason that will not work, until you get the FEED side with enough amp space to let the 100 flow,  in the meantime only 50 will flow down the 100 OEM cable but that is fine,  

See the different wire sizes that go into the same car end plug?  More amps bigger cable but the same end,  electrically and physics speaking you can always go larger on the wire with less amps,  then when you get more amp capacity,   you already have the larger OEM end.

I would check with Tesla, I am sure they want to sell a million chargers, but talking real world   all they are doing is down sizing the wire to the car plug to fit the amp capacity,  get my point?

So you are thinking the correct way, but partially,   when you eventually have 100 amps flowing you will need twice the cable size for 50, and you will need the breaker dedicated to 100 amps,   what I don't know is if the charge rate is built into the regulated charging station which is a glorified battery charger.

I would think at some point at partial discharge even with the 100 amp max the charger will slow down the flow rate to something 50 or even under as the batteries become charged,    

Now all I read is for people who are clueless about the whole process, but what I see with my own eyes is larger wire in the same car end plug,   

so if you have had the 100 amp charger now,   but only 50 worth of capacity,  I don't see why the 100 amp charge would not charge at a rate as high it could.  

If so you plug the 100 amp charger and cable set, into a 50 amp breaker until you get new a new service entrance,      now I don't know what Tesla would say, but think about a normal car charger.    If your typical battery is charging it charges at the max amps the charger will allow,        and then tapers off as the battery becomes fully charged,       

That would save you from buying two chargers,   granted you are only going to get what you provide it,  but I bet the 100 amp setup will charge at 50 [40 cont]    then when you get the other 50 you just up the breaker and plug it in.

Obviously they have 'universal" pigtails    so up to that point I know I am correct.

Now at the unreal prices for these chargers  I am not sure if they would come clean with you or not,  or even though it would or could never hurt a thing according the laws of physics,  they are selling these things, they could current limit the actual charger but I doubt it,   maybe they would even suggest buying the 100 amp now and do exactly as I suggest,   but with the costs you have in all of this  I would verify it with them,      

I see no harm at all using the 100 amp on a 50 breaker if all the breaker is fed at the moment is 50 amps,    I know this is confusing, but the charger limits or controls the rate of charge even on many cheapo walnart chargers,      

So if you could avoid spending $4000 for one 50 then reselling it or getting what you can for a used charger,  you would save several thousand,   

http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/home-charger

The forum above helps explain,  one of the subjects is backwards though,  if you had a 100 amp circuit that tried to draw 100 amps a 50 amp breaker would trip,    I'm saying the opposite,  put wire that is big enough for 100amps,   but you only have 50 now,  so you have double the capacity you need,    the wire can be a foot in diameter   and even if it is shaved down at the ends,  it fits the lower 50 amps,   then when you get 100 amps of service   cut the wire off where it was shaved down to fit the smaller breaker and you got it,      

You might want to write me at my personal email and we can go over this,  vbut I just spent an hour researching this and no where do I see a problem with wiring forward,  if you will,  and then when you get the other 50 you dont have to buy a whole new cord,    that has the very same car end on it,  just bigger wire,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt