Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ceiling fan switch:

QUESTION: I have replaced my ceiling fan with a new fan that has a wall-mounted speed controller rather than the on-board one of the previous fan, which only had a power switch on the wall. I mounted the fan easily but when I came to changing the wall switch the old one had two black wires which were twisted together and two red ones--three attachments in all, going into the back of it.. The new switch had only two wires coming out of it into a wiring block, they were blue and brown. Any idea ow it should be wired??

The irritation of ceiling fans is that there are no conventions made mandatory,   in other words, brand x might use one color scheme and the others might use something completely different,

Is the new switch the SAME brand as the FAN?

The old switch with two blacks and 2 two reds, sounds like a three way switch,   

Obviously the new switch with two wires is only going to be one pole,   made to make and break a switch leg,    

So I see what you mean with the old one,   but with the new one,  even though the old one had two blacks together, you could go from black to red and black to red,  now you have two wires,

I probably need to know what the fan model is and the new switch is,  and how YOU want this fan to operate,   pull chain fan, wall switch light,   pull chain light  wall switch fan,  a dozen ways to do this,   and apparently you have one single gang switch    so some limitations there,

It is horribly frustrating, this time of year I get all kinds of fan questions and they are just like this    different configurations and colors          

Why they cannot make a standard convention so users dont have to cross match is also obvious,  the OEM wants YOU to buy THEIR stuff,    not something else that works just as well if not better,  

Tell me more ab out what you have,  model of both,  and how YOU want the operation when done,  and we will figure this out,

QUESTION: Hello Again,
         In answer to your questions:

The switch came with the fan, but the make is unclear, the fan is an Endeavour by Casuarina ? The fan can be fitted with a light, but I have not done so, I only want it to work as a fan, but with three speeds. The switch has a switch for the light and a knob which turns to operate the fan at three speeds. I will attach some pictures of the switch for you.

Thanks, Kevin.

ANSWER: When I look at the bottom photo  that is an example of one in two out,      see the values on the switch?

Those are capacitor values 3.5 and 2.8  which would be normal for two speeds,   now as to the third speed?

There is no wiring diagram that came with this?

If so can you scan it?     Not understanding two cap values and three speeds,    plus there is this possibility:

Fans can be fed from the light position, or from the switch position,   this is very tough to do long distance,   I would think they would provide a wiring diagram   so if you can get that scanned or try sending me the exact model and name  and I will attempt to look it up and find out how they laid this out,    it should be fairly simple with normal fans,  one common   then three speed leads   common stays on common  the switch moves the power to each speed lead,  but the one photo absolutely shows one power in and two power or speeds out,   maybe the third is high and another fan mounted cap is there,  hard to say    wish I could just look and tell, but it is way more complex than that,    a wiring diagram   we can knock this out really fast,     again if not    exact model and make,  and I will do the research  

Wiring Diag.
Wiring Diag.  
QUESTION: Hi again, I have a wiring diagram and am attaching it.

Good Lord no wonder you are confused,  that is horrible,

The diagram relates to no colors,  so no help there,   but it works like this,   high speed, is straight 240 volt to the fan,  then the two lower speeds are run those capacitors we talked about, in the black box, then out,  the blue light wire should be capped off with a wire nut even though it is not connected,  put a cap on it,    

I have looked and looked today for something that makes sense, that diagram is so confusing I would confuse you more by trying to write it out,  let me find a real diagram   somewhere    its not that difficult it is just not something that can be explained by description,      give me a day or two to run something down or draw one,     

If you can find the 240  the hot lead is through the in out of the black box, and the other is directly to the fan,     if that makes sense you can go with it but it is very hard to understand  a very poor diagram     I will find something,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses