Electrical Wiring in the Home/Garage Light

Question
Bob, at the peak of my garage is a glass enclosed lightbulb that goes on at dusk and off at dawn. Last week I noticed it was dim, then the next night it was out completely. When I went into the garage the next day, the lights wouldn't come on. The breaker in the garage and in my basement had to be reset then the garage lights came on. I went to Wal-Mart for a new lightbulb for the fixture. The glass enclosure has marked "Max 32 watts".  I asked the man what kind of bulb I needed and he sold me an LED lightbulb 10=60 watts. It's for indoor/outdoor use. He said it would be fine. It was fine, for 6 hours, then I heard a pop, the light in my house blinked, and I looked outdoors and the garage light is out. What's wrong? Is it the kind of bulb? My garage was rewired a year & a half ago so all that's fairly new and I've
had any problems til now with this light.  What do you think?  Thanks.

Answer
Hi.

WalMart's business plans do not include hiring people who know anything about home remodeling.  So, you should always go to Home Depot, Lowe's, or a neighborhood hardware store when you have a question.

The light sounds like a vapor light, also known as HID light, High Intensity Discharge, or metal halide fixture.  It is not the point to find A light for it, it is the point of finding THE light for it.  Only one bulb is made for this fixture.  I assume it has either a yellow or blue tint to it.

Assuming the ballast is not bad, either before or after putting in the wrong bulb, you should go and try to find the correct bulb. If none of the hardware stores have it, then you should go to an electrical supply house, the kind of store that usually sells to electricians.  They will also sell to homeowners.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle