Electrical Wiring in the Home/High pitch electrical squeel

Hi. I hope you can help me with this as it is driving me crazy.  In my laundry room in my basement I can hear a high pitch squeal in the one corner of the laundry room. It sounds like a hearing aid that is running out of batteries. It's not a consistent pitch it goes up and down louder and softer. I can't hear it outside, and as soon as you leave the room you can't hear it. The only thing electrical in the area is the drier and the AC unit outside, and where I hear the sound there technically isn't even anything plugged in there. What could be causing the feedback sound?

Turn off all of your breakers.  If the sound is still there, then it is non-electrical. Perhaps a plumbing noise.  If the sound goes away, turn the breakers on one a time to figure out what is causing it.  Perhaps it is a duct pipe, which will make the noise when the furnace has power. Maybe it is a light ballast or a transformer.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.