Electrical Wiring in the Home/House Wiring Issue

Question
I added a light receptacle by tying into a 3 prong  plug outlet. When I switched the breaker back on, it buzzed for a second then stopped buzzing. The power was out to the whole circuit.  I notice that the ground wire on the new receptacle was touching the black power wire. I separated them but the problem still exists.  I tested power from the breaker in question and it still works.  What am I missing?

Answer
Somewhere in the circuit, some wire or connection burned through to the point where electricity won't pass through it any more.  You will need to check all of the wiring on that circuit from the breaker box to the point of the problem. Check the wire nuts.  If you have the wires pushed into the backs of any outlets, it would be best to take them out, and wrap the wire around the screws on the sides.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle