Electrical Wiring in the Home/lighting

Have power to all my upstairs light holders but the bulbs wont light

Now I am in the USA so it may be a bit difficult to communicate,   but lets try      so you have some light holders which we call lamps if they are independent devices  or we have permanent lighting mostly what we call can or canned lights which are recessed looking cans with a trim piece, and the bulbs screw in them  so the way you explained your problem tells me you have permanent lights of some kind,  

any chance these are fluorescent lights ?  I will use F for short  but  F lights need a ballast or charge to start the bulb    because incandescent lights have been deemed inefficient here in the US,  we can only buy up to 60 watts in what used to be normal bulbs,   

Make sure you are not trying to put F type bulbs in not F type fixtures and just the opposite first,  

Then can you do this     put one bulb in,      out of however many holders you have,     will one come on with the other holders empty ?

I think you have the Schuko style 240 outlets so I would assume your lighting is 220-240  also,   if your bulbs are rated 220-240 as they probably should be and you have voltage,  did you do some wiring or did these lights just go out all of a sudden,?    Check the typo of bulb and if it checks out and not an F type or non F or vice versa and all that checks out,     how much voltage do you have?  If you checked the voltage with a basic checker that might just blink if voltage is present    it may be you have half enough voltage   as it is very easy for 240 volts to become OPEN at the neutral and only supply 120 volts which should dimly light even a 240 volt bulb         if you put one in and it lights   and two in   

then it lights but they keep getting dimmer  as you add bulbs    you either have just half voltage or you have a connection problem    what happens with a connection problem is the voltage drops as the load increases    so more bulbs not enough POWER   even though there is OPEN CIRCUIT voltage    still it takes big enough wire,  good solid connections or the open voltage could be fine until a load [the bulbs] are attached and then it drops      that could be a serious condition that needs professional attention.  so if one bulb lights and two or more become dim   then you need a professional to find the problem  but check to make sure the bulbs are the right kind for the fixtures  and heres a way out possible answer   but anymore not so way out there,     did all the bulbs come in the same package?

If so it could be a complete package of bad bulbs from the beginning     if you have a multiple purpose meter  use the OHMS or resistance selection   put the probes on the bulb connections them selves  no power  just on a table    and see if the bulbs have a circuit and some resistance on the meter,    

I have seen bulbs in a pack of 10 get shook so hard in shipping the elements in every bulb shook loose and the bulbs were no longer good,      I am fascinated by your story    you can use my personal email if it is easier     but if the bulbs do light one at a time but dim,   get a professional as soon as you can    if any wiring was done recently or fixtures replaced,  have whomever did that come and recheck   again voltage alone is not enough  you need the correct amount of voltage and the correct wire size  and the correct amount of power [kva] to make anything work,     

I have seen some bad new fixtures too,    so with this being 240 volts  there is a lot of room for errors   you might give me the history of all that went on,  as most do not just not change out there bulbs      so did you just have no light suddenly or were fixtures replaced or a switch or anything else?   Let me know as I get few questions from Spain and this is a GOOD question   as we are changing things by law over in the US it could be going on in Spain  I have not looked yet  but efficient electrical is becoming a big deal everywhere      let me know how you get along and the whole story  even the smallest detail involving electrical in this area  I need to know what went on,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses