Electrical Wiring in the Home/Replace lightswitch with LED nightlight/switch combo

I want to replace a lightswitch with a LED nightlight and switch unit. Currently there is black, white and ground wiring. When purchased, I was told it would work. However, another employee said it won't because there needs to be two black wires. Is there anyway to do the job with existing wiring.

The white wire is really a hot wire, and it should be black. This is called a switch loop.

However, I do not know if the unit requires a neutral or not.  If it does not require a neutral, it will work. If you need a neutral, it will not work.  You can look at the wiring diagram. If it shows two black wires and a white wire (in addition to the ground), it will not work. If it shows two black wires and no white wires, it will work. Just use the white wire as a black wire.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.