Electrical Wiring in the Home/added electrical load

Question
We recently bought a house built in 1962. It has an ITE 125 amp load center with 6 double breakers which include house power (to inside breaker panel), Range, Water Heater, Dryer. I am adding 2.5 ton central Air Conditioning that requires two circuits to air handler with electric heat strips (one 50 amp and one 25 amp) and one circuit to condenser that is 25 amps. I also want to add 30 amp RV outlet and a circuit to a new heater/ventilator/light in one bathroom.
In order to accommodate added loads, my choices are to either replace the 125 amp load center with a new 200 amp load center or to add another 125 amp in series to the existing load center. This second option is the most economical and easiest to install. I would feed the second load center from a new 100 amp breaker in the old load center.
My question is: am I in danger of overloading the old load center by adding the second one? It was suggested that I connect the wire to the new load center in the old one ahead of the bus. This will not give the disconnect that I think may be required by code.
Your advise on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy Stellman

Answer
Hello Tommy,
My name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question you CAN NOT ad a 200a panel w/o first changing the incoming service feeders to 1/0 wire which can be costly and requires changing the service pipe outside your home to 2" along with a different meter pan, weather head, panel, etc... so i recommend simply adding a 100a sub panel using #2 wire and adding a 12/24 circuit panel and you will be just fine.Should you need any other help be sure to ask and please take a minute and fill out the survey it helps us .thank you
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo