Electrical Wiring in the Home/Additional shop wiring

I have my workshop 70 ' from main breaker box. I have dual 50 amp
breaker going to shop on 3 #2/0 AL for 220v AC wiring underground in metal waterproof conduit. Shop breaker box has 2- 30 amp GFI breakers; 1 for for 120V air conditioner & outlet wiring. Other 30 amp  GFI for RV connection outside.  have 4-20 amp CB 's for lights.

Outdoor metal 46' RV cover is being converted to automotive hobby shop with 9k pound 3HP lift, outlets and lighting. Plan on using 12 circuit 100 amp outdoor breaker box with TM  black jacket Romex with 3 - #8 Gauge with #10 ga ground inside 3/4" metal waterproof conduit about 35feet from shop mains to 220V dual 30 amp breakers for a 9000# lift  (3HP motor). Box has 4 dual 20amp breakers for lighting and some outlets. All wiring will be stranded 10 ga in several 1/2 or 3/4" conduit depending on number of wires in the different directions of conduit from Breaker box to outlets/wiring. All my research says 35 feet for 220V load which is on for just few minutes for lift motor.

Do you agree that the #8 gauge TM Romex I have to run 35 feet is adequate, or should I purchase separate Red, Black and White THHM #6 and bare 10 ga. ground? Thanks for you opinion.

Hello Jacob,
Thank you for contacting All Experts my name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question you are totally fine with what you already have your #8(Romex)wire should already have (THHN) Wire inside even if not the allowable current carrying capacity of that #8 wire is 40a also the motor itself will have a date tag on it stating the amperage I ask that you check that and let me know what it says to be 100% certain on the draw another point i would like to bring to your attention is your main breaker going to your shop you stated its a 2 pole 50a on #2 wire well i would recommend changing that 50a 2pole breaker to a 70a 2 pole breaker depending on the type of feeder wire and insulation that #2 wire is rated anywhere between 88-100 amps.I mean you have it why not use it :) I hope this answers some of your concerns and i was helpful please respond to and fill out the servey for me thank you
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo

I am here to answer ALL your questions regarding anything to do with home wiring such as Switches, Receptacles,Lighting, Main Distribution Panels, HVAC, Thermostats, etc; if it has a wire and in your home I CAN ANSWER IT. Whether its as simple as "why do my lights flicker?" Or as complex as I would like to rewire my house im here to help, in addition i can offer advice on remodeling a kitchen or lighting up you back yard as well as offering troubleshooting on appliances.

I have over 17 years in the electrical industry including Residential, Commercial & Industrial, Im also a certified HVAC technician as well as a certified fiber obtic technician.I am currently employed by the New York City Transit Authority as the Senior Electrical Maintainer and serve as the Relief Foreman for the electrical maintenance division for the past 12 years.I also hold many certifications, licenses and certificates in my field

FOA Member(Fiber Optic Association) UTU (United Transportation Union) IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) HVAC/TALK (Heating & Air conditioning troubleshooting group)

5 years of technical school after high school in electrical installation and design sponsored by Local 3 (IBEW) As well as over 17 years of hands on in the field training and education, and till this day im still learning, Not a day goes by that i don't learn something and if i feel i didn't i will open up a book to insure I DO!