Electrical Wiring in the Home/avoiding wires when drilling

Question
I have a NYC apartment built in the 60s.  The receptacles are horizontal.  Would they still be mounted and oriented on the stud the same as a vertical receptacle?  Will they likely have a stud on one side also?

Also, I recently screwed in two screws to mount a wall lamp.  The first one went in smooth.  The second, while drilling, met some slight resistance in the drywall and I am 99% sure there was no stud there.  What could it be? The drill bit went in maybe 2-2.5 inches into the wall.  I just want to be sure I didn't nick a wire.

Wished I had thought about these before my work, dumbie me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer
Box with Ears/clips
Box with Ears/clips  
Hello Jim,
Thank you for contacting All Experts my name is Robert and ill be helping you today in response to your question I dont think you nicked a wire simply because you would have Most likely Would have heard a crackle sound a pop or something in addition you would have noticed something in your house would have stopped working such as the lights. Next the "box" could have been mounted with "ear clips" which dont require studs at all and the clips or ears expand as there tightened thus grabbing onto the "plaster" and or sheet rock of the walls so all in all i think your just fine and lastly it wouldn't hurt to just take a peak at your Main Electrical Panel to see if ANY of your breakers are tripped.I hope i was helpful and please take a minute and fill out my survey thank you
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo