Electrical Wiring in the Home/Continuous current vs idle current

My wall socket continues to power my TV receiver even when plugged in but not turned on.  DISH TV just installed yesterday but seemingly inexperienced technician, who had to do something with the wires in my attic.  How can this be?  What is causing the continuous power to the wall plug?

Hello lynda,
My name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question im not really sure of what you are asking, Im trying to understand what you are actually asking from what i understand and correct me if im wrong you had your cable company install a satellite and did some wiring in your atic by an inexperienced technician that you are uncomfortable with and not sure if it was done correctly and now you feel there is a constant current draw even with your tv off Is this correct? And if so what makes you feel that there is infact a constant current draw? Any other information will help me better understand and help me give you a more clear response. ..Thank you.Robert  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo

I am here to answer ALL your questions regarding anything to do with home wiring such as Switches, Receptacles,Lighting, Main Distribution Panels, HVAC, Thermostats, etc; if it has a wire and in your home I CAN ANSWER IT. Whether its as simple as "why do my lights flicker?" Or as complex as I would like to rewire my house im here to help, in addition i can offer advice on remodeling a kitchen or lighting up you back yard as well as offering troubleshooting on appliances.

I have over 17 years in the electrical industry including Residential, Commercial & Industrial, Im also a certified HVAC technician as well as a certified fiber obtic technician.I am currently employed by the New York City Transit Authority as the Senior Electrical Maintainer and serve as the Relief Foreman for the electrical maintenance division for the past 12 years.I also hold many certifications, licenses and certificates in my field

FOA Member(Fiber Optic Association) UTU (United Transportation Union) IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) HVAC/TALK (Heating & Air conditioning troubleshooting group)

5 years of technical school after high school in electrical installation and design sponsored by Local 3 (IBEW) As well as over 17 years of hands on in the field training and education, and till this day im still learning, Not a day goes by that i don't learn something and if i feel i didn't i will open up a book to insure I DO!