Electrical Wiring in the Home/detached garage

Question
I'm wanting to install a 70 amp 2 space sub panel in my garage for general lighting and a garage door opener. I will be putting in one 15 amp and one 20 amp breaker. The distance is approximately 75ft garage to the home breaker panel. #1 Can i install a 30amp double pole breaker in the home breaker panel #2 Can i use 10-3 wire w/ground from the house panel to the garage panel. I know i have to install GFCI outlets in the garage and the garage door opener should be on a separate breaker(15 amp). Anything else i should know? Thanks

Answer
It's only going to be a 30 amp set up if you use a 30 amp breaker in your house.  Normally 10-3 is 30 amps, but it depends on the type of wire, etc.  Usually when you buy the wire, there should be an ampacity chart that goes with that wire. It's always best to do a reality check and make sure. If there are any other metal paths between the two buildings, such as water or telephone lines, then you would need to use a ground wire between the two boxes.  The box in the garage should have a grounding rod no matter what.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle