Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical wattage

Question
If an electrical fixture says to use maximum 60 watt light bulbs, can you use a cfl bulb with a greater light output as long as it uses less than 60 watts?

Answer
Hello Jan,
Thank you for contacting All Experts my name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question YES you can most definitely use A higher wattage CFL bulb as long as you'll wattage of the bulb is under 60w and the reason for that is b/c most 60w bulb bases are made from plastic and 100w bulb bases all made from ceramic thus being able to handle more heat and that is the whole reason behind a maximum of 60 watts because of the heat generated from the bulb base, and CFL bulbs produce much less heat and i believe the most you will see in home depot is 26w so go ahead and enjoy a brighter room lastly if i may recommend they cost a little bit more however LED bulbs are brighter and produce half the heat and electricity CFL bulbs do and in the long run you will save much more on your electric bill and the price of these bulbs have dropped a a great deal since last year and is now affordable for the home owner. I hope that i was able to answer your question and i ask that you fill out the servey for me. Thank You
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo