Electrical Wiring in the Home/horizontal receptacles and stud location

Question
I have a NYC apartment built in the 60s.  The receptacles are horizontal.  Would they still be mounted and oriented on the stud the same as a vertical receptacle?  Will they likely have a stud on one side also?

Also, I recently screwed in two screws to mount a wall lamp.  The first one went in smooth.  The second, while drilling, met some slight resistance in the drywall and I am 99% sure there was no stud there.  What could it be? The drill bit went in maybe 2-2.5 inches into the wall.  I just want to be sure I didn't nick a wire.

Wished I had thought about these before my work, dumbie me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer
Hello jim,
Robert again i forgot to add that what you drilled into and met resistance was probably a "lathe" basically its a wood grid that they plaster over to create walls before the days of sheet rock so if your walls are "Plaster" and not sheet rock im 99% sure thats what you hit
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo