Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ireland to US chandelier

Question
Hi, hope someone can help me...searched all over, but cannot find answer.
I purchased a chandelier while on vacation in Ireland several years ago and want to hang it in my home in US.  Wires are different colors, there are three, Brown, Blue and one is Yellow/Green.  Which colors would match up with US colors... also is it safe?  Is there other differences in the wires besides the colors?  thank you in advance, Wendy.

Answer
Hello Wendy

No reason to stress,  we can figure this out,      worse to worse     you can mail it to me and I could rewire it  but that is really a remote need,         

OK  first of all  can you hang it with some sort of provided mount bracket[s] so it is hanging securel??

That is real critical,   

So assuming you have that under control    lets talk about power,      

Are you hanging this where a preexisting light hanging or not exists   and there is some sort of single swtich or wall switch or three way   switch to turn on whatever is there,      or are you running wire to a new box?

Because it is lighting  a resistive load,  even if the lamp is rated 50 hertz as opposed to US 60 no big deal  

So if it says 50 hertz or cycles it is not a consideration,  

Next power   You bought it in Ireland but is it from Ireland, ??    For now I will assume so,   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2fp5lp4OFk  general  video on hanging lamps,   but US   so it is very generic but generic advice cannot hurt,      

Power is determined by adding the amount of bulbs  the individual wattage each  to come up with a total wattage,        lets say you have 100  
bulbs and each is one watt,      so now you have  100 watts,   of power needed,    

Most   MOST   CANNOT SAY YOURS IS  if it exists,    but most are good for 15 amps    \

So how do we get amps into the wattage consideration,   amps times volts is watts   

So 100 lamps at 1 amp each    100 watts  or t same as one      U    one hundred watt bulb

The big deal is the WIRE sIZE   from the feed and in the light,    it has to be large enough to handle the current that the light will use on full    if on a dimmer  or just straight on,   the wire must handle the amps,      

So if you are wiring this new,  that means you pick the feed wire size,    I bet this goes in an existing box
in the ceiling if not let me know,   and I am going to say for now you have 15 amps of wire size   meaning you can use as many lights at whatever wattage but the max is 15 amps,    

Volts times amps   = wattage      so lets say you have a typical 115 volt or 120 volt   the same thing  they are really sloppy when talking basic home circuits it is confusing but 115 or 120  same thing   

IF we know the volts are 120      and we know the max amps is 15    15 times 120 volts is 1800 watts  

Now the lamp might say   max watts  total or per bulb   if so follow the fixture capacity     

As long as your feed is standard US and that being right at 1800 total     now you can adjust around on your individual bulb wattage to stay at or under  or at the max of the fixture if it has a tag or label,   

Example   there is 100 sockets,    you can use an 18 watt bulb     in each     and if the wiring is typical US   the wire is fine  for that,       but again if you dont know, or no tag  we have to figure out what wire size you have in the fixture   with me?

Or if you have 50 sockets you can use 36 watt bulbs          see the formula?

OK   now for wiring,     if there is a wall switch   or three way, or whatever,   you route the HOT Wire though the switch   it is black      coming from the breaker      now   the power can start at the switch or up in the ceiling box    I have no idea where they put yours,      but if it is pre existing,  the hot black should be either ran down to the switch and back up,   or in the switch  it cuts the black off and on   on the way up to the ceiling         

So which one is the hot on the hot on the lamp,     most likely either one but the green

http://www.etci.ie/safety/faq.html#RCDs    this is ETCI   IRELAND ELECTRICAL  

Neutral - Blue
Phases - Brown, Black, Grey.   From the IRELAND SITE

So you have blue and brown,  the neutral is not NOT THE HOT  THE PHASE IS HOT       so your bronw is HOT  

The US hot is black  the neutral is white,    dont worry about the other colors,   they are saying that either could be hot,  or if three phase all of them  but single phase  you got BROWN HOT<  BLUE NUETRAL  

again  BLUE is white US

Brown is BLACK HOT US     so stay with that,   

Now the green white is earth ground   where us is either green solid or bare copper   it goes to the ground frame screw     from the bare US ground,  wire nut them  and connect to lamp  it probably already is,   

To test with an ohm meter   the white green would show a circuit to the frame    the blue black would show open  until you put bulbs in,          

Easy to check with a 4 dollar ohm meter,     I will walk you though it if you have no help   

I would check the lamp at least with an ohm meter especially if it is from a used shop   just to make sure we dont see anything bleeding to ground,          or take it to a lamp shop and have them test it,  your choice   any hardware store should be able to put an ohm meter on it, and tell you if the ground is green  and good, and the others are good   lts

So there you go     that should do it,     around 1800 watts   the only thing I cannot find is if IRELAND IS 120 volts residential and not 220  I am trying to find that now,  

Says it is 220 in IRELAND  so the fixture might have smaller wire   cant say   but you would put 220 in the formula  if the lamp is wired for 220   because as voltage goes up amps go down so they use smaller wire,  in the fixture   but it should all work out adjusting the bulb wattage   but remember us bulbs are normally 110 and if these are standard fixture threads no problem,      

OR you could run 220 to it,  but I wouldnt   unless it is just not bright enough and it is going to be half as bright   at 110  if the wire is not big enough      

You are here: Home Residential Electricity Safety Irish voltages and plugsGet a good grounding in electrical safety: find out what voltage we use in Ireland and learn how to wire a plug.VoltageThe standard domestic electricity supply in Ireland is 230 volt AC (frequency 50hz).PlugsThe most common plug we use is the 13 amp three-pin plug          

Write me back and let me know if there is data tag on the fixture and what it says   and we can go from there  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt