Electrical Wiring in the Home/Loose Neutral


We have a manufactured home that receives power from a main electrical supply panel located outside the home on a pedestal which has two breakers, 30amp and 50amp. Inside the home there is a sub-panel that distributes the power throughout the house via several breakers. My question is this: Could a loose neutral wire at the attachment block in the outside main electrical supply panel cause wiring inside the home that is connected after the homes sub-panel to heat up to the point of causing a fire? Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello James,Im so sorry for the delay in responding i had a family medical emergency.
My name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question YES it can     Along with corrosion and oxidation all of which can cause overheating weather its the actual wire or the termination point overheating is caused by improper flow of electricity/current which is caused by resistance, and in the case of a loose wire resistance is caused from the end of the wire NOT making FULL contact inside the lug(Termination point) thus reducing the capacity that the wire can cary.I hope that i answered any of your concerns and should you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask. Thank You...Robert
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Tomasulo


I am here to answer ALL your questions regarding anything to do with home wiring such as Switches, Receptacles,Lighting, Main Distribution Panels, HVAC, Thermostats, etc; if it has a wire and in your home I CAN ANSWER IT. Whether its as simple as "why do my lights flicker?" Or as complex as I would like to rewire my house im here to help, in addition i can offer advice on remodeling a kitchen or lighting up you back yard as well as offering troubleshooting on appliances.


I have over 17 years in the electrical industry including Residential, Commercial & Industrial, Im also a certified HVAC technician as well as a certified fiber obtic technician.I am currently employed by the New York City Transit Authority as the Senior Electrical Maintainer and serve as the Relief Foreman for the electrical maintenance division for the past 12 years.I also hold many certifications, licenses and certificates in my field

FOA Member(Fiber Optic Association) UTU (United Transportation Union) IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) HVAC/TALK (Heating & Air conditioning troubleshooting group)

5 years of technical school after high school in electrical installation and design sponsored by Local 3 (IBEW) As well as over 17 years of hands on in the field training and education, and till this day im still learning, Not a day goes by that i don't learn something and if i feel i didn't i will open up a book to insure I DO!

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.