Electrical Wiring in the Home/Replacing toggle switch to rocker & dimmer

Hi! I embarked on a small electrical project & ran into an issue. I wanted to replace my toggle switch to a rocker style and install a dimmer. There are currently two toggle switches on two separate walls that operate 4 ceiling lights. One toggle switch that I want to replace with the dimmer is a single plate. The other toggle is next to a toggle that operates an exterior porch light and a ceiling fan on/off/speed switch. I started with the easier replacement, and installed a rocker switch for the 4 lights and a rocker switch for the porch light. I flipped the circuit back on and both the ceiling lights and the porch light worked. I turned the circuit off and went to pull the toggle switch out, to replace that with a dimmer. Before I disconnected any wires, but had pulled the toggle switch away from the wall, I flipped the circuit just to be sure that it was off. None of the new rocker switches that I just installed would work. I flipped it again and nothing would turn on. I went back to the two rocker switches that I just installed and tried every possible combination with the wires. The lights will not turn on. Do you have any thoughts on what the problem is and if this is a fix that I can do myself? Thanks.

There are two things that come to mind.  When installing a 3 way switch, one screw is a different color, snd the wire that goes to the old odd colored screw must go to the new odd color screw.

You may have a loose wire somewhere in one of the boxes.  It could be under a wire nut, so it is not always easy to see.

Once the wires are mixed up, it will be hard to figure out what goes where.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.