Electrical Wiring in the Home/Smoke Detectors

I'd like to replace smoke detectors that are hardwired. Do these require an electrician to be done properly? It looks like new ones can clip in, but with something so crucial, I don't want to take any chances that they won't function properly.

Thank you very much-

Hello David,
My name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question No you do not need to go out an hire an electrician To simply "Replace" a hard wired smoke detector i can understand you concern especially with the importance of the matter however you run more of a risk of having something go wrong Installing a "BATTERY" operated smoke detector with having to put the batteries in wrong than you do with a hard wired one such as the one you have simply because they are PLUG AND PLAY meaning they can ONLY be plugged in 1 WAY and you CANT make a mistake and of course you can always test it after you install it so rest assured you will be ok with installing it yourself.Should you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask...Thank you Robert and please take the time to fill out the survey for me it means alot thanks
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo

I am here to answer ALL your questions regarding anything to do with home wiring such as Switches, Receptacles,Lighting, Main Distribution Panels, HVAC, Thermostats, etc; if it has a wire and in your home I CAN ANSWER IT. Whether its as simple as "why do my lights flicker?" Or as complex as I would like to rewire my house im here to help, in addition i can offer advice on remodeling a kitchen or lighting up you back yard as well as offering troubleshooting on appliances.

I have over 17 years in the electrical industry including Residential, Commercial & Industrial, Im also a certified HVAC technician as well as a certified fiber obtic technician.I am currently employed by the New York City Transit Authority as the Senior Electrical Maintainer and serve as the Relief Foreman for the electrical maintenance division for the past 12 years.I also hold many certifications, licenses and certificates in my field

FOA Member(Fiber Optic Association) UTU (United Transportation Union) IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) HVAC/TALK (Heating & Air conditioning troubleshooting group)

5 years of technical school after high school in electrical installation and design sponsored by Local 3 (IBEW) As well as over 17 years of hands on in the field training and education, and till this day im still learning, Not a day goes by that i don't learn something and if i feel i didn't i will open up a book to insure I DO!