Electrical Wiring in the Home/Tranformer

I have light fixtures getting no power. My electrician came and said I need to replace transformers in the house. I've never heard of 'house transformers'; I thought transformers were boxes on top of utility poles outside transforming 7000v to 220v for household use. What do they do in a house and where might they be located?

I haven't heard of them either.  There are some old fashioned low voltage relay systems in a few houses. You would not have standard switches in that case. Most likely you would have small switches in many locations.

I would get a second opinion.  If you do have the relays, then an electrician should be able to either repair them or bypass them.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.