Electrical Wiring in the Home/Tranformer

Question
QUESTION: Will, I have light fixtures getting no power. My electrician came and said I need to replace transformers in the house. I've never heard of 'house transformers'; I thought transformers were boxes on top of utility poles outside transforming 7000v to 220v for household use. What do they do in a house and where might they be located?

ANSWER: John

Tend to agree with YOU<    GLAD YOU ASKED    so others might read this,  not saying it is a scam,    but it sure sounds like it,  

Transformers are as you described,  at least that is one kind,    a step down power transformer,  you can have step up   say  200 volts to 1000 volts, or control transformers that take line voltage and lower it so the controls where people are turning knobs is lower,    lots of transformers,  but no one uses the term  replace all the transformers in the house,     it sounds like a con,  but why was he there   ???   That might answer it,    

Now there could be a transformer for your door bell,   the most common,   now days most are wireless and don't need one,  but that is what you think of as a transformer for a house,   now all appliances and furnaces have them   and many lights have ballasts/transformers,     or a UPS is a type of a transformer it is an isolation transformer,

But even then you just don't go around changing transformers,  they dont wear out per se, the insulation might degrade over time,    but they don't just wear out,     maybe the voltage from the utility is too high and he is talking about the transformer outside but normally they have taps  so they can adjust the voltage,   or if you added a new panel  maybe you need more kva  and a new pole transformer is needed,  but  no     

I am with you  whatever this is      is either a huge misunderstanding or a con,  but let me know so anyone who reads this knows,       will you?    Why was he there and what kind of money was he talking if he said?

Don't do anything until we talk more,          

QUESTION: Thanks, Will. Two of four kitchen light fixtures in a circuit lost power, plus a closet light fixture on another floor. That's all. Been working for years; then quit. Electrician said they were selected by the whole house power system to be shut down because the system couldn't run everything. (?) It's a normal house using normal power. He said the job would require would require two transformers at $180 apiece, and those would probably have to be replaced soon too. (?) Sounds awfully fishy. I'm going to get a 2d opinion and I'll let you know.

Answer
Good plan  it could be what they said,    say it was those particular ballasts he is calling transformers   

pretty much the same thing,       think that is the confusion    get a second opinion,  but I bet he is talking about the inrush for the whole house and the ballasts or transformers  where deemed to much load,   and the most unneeded load,          the transformers are probably older and inefficient        might look at led lights versus fl         

but do get a second look and let me know,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt