Electrical Wiring in the Home/Adding a 15amp circuit for an outdoor playhouse.

Question
East side of structure
East side of structure  
Hello,

Today I will be adding a 15amp circuit for an outdoor playhouse.   I have a permit but I forgot to ask my inspector if the wiring at the playhouse has to be in conduit.

Most of the wiring will be behind sheathing but there are a couple runs that will be exposed.

The playhouse is elevated so the run up into the playhouse not be covered.

My local Lowes was under the impression if you use outdoor wiring it can be secured and out of conduit.

What are your thoughts?

I live in Washington state and my local City does not have any additional regulations for electrical.

Thanks for your help.

Billy

Answer
The only way to be sure is to call the inspector.  No matter what the rules are, he pretty much has the final say. There are always some local rules somewhere, but conduit is usually not required in residential uses.

Any wire that is exposed to the weather should be UF-B cable however. You will want to make sure that everything is protected by a GFCI. Even if the lights are not required to be on a GFCI, I would do it anyway for safety. If water can get inside, then you should use waterproof outlets.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle