Electrical Wiring in the Home/switch plug combo

I want to put a freezer in a walk in closet.  When I took off the
switch for the light, I had a a black wire, red wire not used and a neutral.
Can I do a switch plug combo and how do I connect it.  Do I have to go
into the ceiling.

Thanks so much

It depends on where the wires go to.  If the wires are hooked to the right place, you can use them.  Most likely the white wire is not a neutral, but acting as a hot, so it has to be moved. For the wires to be connected properly, the black should go to the black power coming into the light box.  The red should go to the light fixture black wire, and the white should go to the white wire coming into the light box.

At the switch combo, the white should go on the light colored outlet screw, the black should go to the side where it connects to both the outlet and the switch, and the red should go on the other switch screw.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.