Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring for carport ceiling

My home has a carport built into the structure...the second floor extends over the carport, with 2 bedrooms and a bath above the carport area.  The carport is open on 3 sides.  The carport ceiling is 5/8" exterior grade gyp board.  We are replacing the ceiling and one thing I would like to do is add some lighting in the carport - some flush-mount fixtures.  I would run the wiring to the ceiling boxes inside the ceiling, along the joists, .

I would assume that, since the carport ceiling is entirely sealed up, that I DO NOT need to run wiring in conduit, but could use standard house wire.  I've taken a cursory look at ICC and NEC but haven't spotted anything that describes this situation. (Flush mount fixtures rated for damp service, of course...)

Any thoughts?

"Ox-Guard/No-Ox" compound
"Ox-Guard/No-Ox" compo  
Hello Michael,
My name is Robert and ill be helping you today and in response to your question, YES you can run wire w/o being in pipe and allow me to recommend using romex althow the wire will in fact be protected from the elements the steel on the bx will eventually rust that being said as far as the lighting goes its not the actual "can/highhat" that would be suitable for wet locations in actuality its the trim and it would be the same one like those used in showers but i see no need for them what i will recommend is "No Ox" or "Ox-Guard" which will prevent seizing corrosion and rust from moisture and humidity also it will making bulb changing a breeze i took the liberty of adding a picture it can be purchased at your local home depot and it just gets a little bit brushed around the light bulb base IT DOES WONDERS.Well i hope i was able to answer your question should you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask and please take a moment and fill out the survey for me thank you
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo

I am here to answer ALL your questions regarding anything to do with home wiring such as Switches, Receptacles,Lighting, Main Distribution Panels, HVAC, Thermostats, etc; if it has a wire and in your home I CAN ANSWER IT. Whether its as simple as "why do my lights flicker?" Or as complex as I would like to rewire my house im here to help, in addition i can offer advice on remodeling a kitchen or lighting up you back yard as well as offering troubleshooting on appliances.

I have over 17 years in the electrical industry including Residential, Commercial & Industrial, Im also a certified HVAC technician as well as a certified fiber obtic technician.I am currently employed by the New York City Transit Authority as the Senior Electrical Maintainer and serve as the Relief Foreman for the electrical maintenance division for the past 12 years.I also hold many certifications, licenses and certificates in my field

FOA Member(Fiber Optic Association) UTU (United Transportation Union) IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) HVAC/TALK (Heating & Air conditioning troubleshooting group)

5 years of technical school after high school in electrical installation and design sponsored by Local 3 (IBEW) As well as over 17 years of hands on in the field training and education, and till this day im still learning, Not a day goes by that i don't learn something and if i feel i didn't i will open up a book to insure I DO!