Electrical Wiring in the Home/AC trips own breaker

Question
I plugged an air conditioner (has electronic controls) into an outlet and the breaker on the unit tripped. I plugged the same AC into a different outlet and had no problems. Could it be that the first outlet has the hot and neutral wires reversed?

Answer
Hey David,
All newer A/C'c come with a "GFI" on the end of the plug in which you think is a breaker when In Fact all it is...is a GFI so that being said I would open up that recepticle and check to make sure it is grounded and wired correctly and possibly change it if it looks beat up or it looks old also loose prongs can cause it to trip as well.Let me know how u make out...Robert
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Tomasulo