Electrical Wiring in the Home/breaker

Question
Hi thanks for volunteering your time to questions

I have what I believe is called a mini split breaker, a breaker normal sized but has (2) 15 amp connections. the furnace is one of those connections and kitchen lighting is the second. During AC weather, I first noticed a low humming from the panel. We had our electrcain generally look over the panel and he felt it was in fine condition but gave us a price to upgrade to 200amps and reduce the number of these mini breakers

Here is the question - I realized this one 15amp mini breaker is making the low hum and when I touch the breaker you can feel some vibration... the alignment of the breaker is a bit off... one side is slightly lower than the other

Is this reason for concern or totally normal because it's working hard to power the air handlers blower fan

Mike

Answer
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
Mike

That is properly known as a twin breaker.

If it doesn't know the words it should stay silent. Humming is not normal. Ventilation system fans don't draw much power - not the problem. If you don't like the breaker, replace it. If it IS the breaker, that isn't humming. What are circuit loads of Lighting and heater fan? If you are CERTAIN it is the breaker, change it.

BTW, is your doorbell transformer mounted on the panel?

I can't think of a reason in the world to change the service, unless you are taking up welding. You aren't tripping the main,, are you? What is total connected load?
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber