Electrical Wiring in the Home/Garage wiring

Question
Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my project. I have an attached garage with block walls and dry walled ceiling. I am going to pull the dry wall to reinsulate, and fix some obvious wiring issues. While the ceiling is exposed, I plan to install recessed lights, and I would like to add some outlets. There are also some cable and phone wires that I would like to reroute. I'm fine with the lights, but I have a few questions about the other parts of the project:

1) With a new 20A circuit, and access to the exposed ceiling, what would you suggest I use for the conduit? I would prefer Schedule 40 plastic because of corrosion.

2) Do you know of a standard height for outlets in a garage? I'd prefer to keep them at switch height to protect from bumps and breaking from car doors or bikes.

3) The phone and cable curently run through a small gap between a window and the brick. The window will be replaced, so I was thinking of drilling through the brick, pulling the phone and cable lines, and filling with silicone. Is there a better way to get from outside to inside? Do I need conduit to run through the brick to protect from rubbing?

Thanks again for your time.

Answer
Hi.

Any electrical conduit should do, unless there are strange local codes.

You can put the outlets at any height you like.  Just make sure they are GFCI protected.

If you caulk or cement the wires in, they should not rub.  They also make grommets that can protect the wires, or you can use a piece of leftover conduit if you like.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle