Electrical Wiring in the Home/resetting GFI

GFI installed, press the GFI reset button, it trips but will not reset. Have to go to main breaker box and trip breaker to reset GFI and reset breaker. Don't know if GFI would trip with power overload.

Most likely the line wires are connected to the load side.  Be sure the wires connected to the line side are always hot.  If that is not the problem, you probably have a defective unit. If you have load wires connected to the load side, remove them and see if it will work.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.