Electrical Wiring in the Home/Warm breaker

Advertisement


Question
Hi. I have a Gould 100 amp breaker panel with a double pole main breaker. One of the poles on the main breaker will get slightly warm when my central air has been running for a while. I am aware that a hot breaker is dangerous, but I've read differing opinions on a warm panel. The temp here has been very high, so the ac unit has been running almost continuously and the panel gets more than slightly warm. It has also never tripped. The unit itself is a 13 SEER 3 ton Goodman.

Does this sound like something I should be concerned with or is this something to be expected with a lower amp breaker box? Also, why would only one pole of the main breaker get warm?

Thank you for your help.

Sherri

Answer
Overheating is frequently caused by loose wires that are arcing. It also happens in older equipment due to age.  It's hard to say at exactly what point it should be replaced, but it should be replaced. The more of a load, the more it will overheat. I would keep a close eye on it, and replace it as soon as you can.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Bob Sponaugle

Expertise

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.