Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 way switch in wall timmer

Question
Is it ok to use a 20 amp in wall  light switch timmer that is on a 15 amp breaker? Would you please explain 15 amp vs a 20 amp timmer.

Thank you for your time
         Glenn

Answer
It is OK to use a 20 amp timer on a 15 amp circuit.  The timer can carry up to 20 amps. If it carries less, it is OK.  However, you could not use a 20 amp fuse or breaker on a 15 amp circuit, because it would allow the wires to become overloaded before it shut the power off.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle