Electrical Wiring in the Home/Dimmer Switch

Question
Dimmer switch stopped working so I bought a replacement.
Replacement Dimmer: Has one green wire and two black wires
(which I will refer to as new green and new black)

When I pulled out the existing dimmer it had two black wires: One went to an internal red wire the other to an internal black wire.

My First Attempt To Hook Up New Dimmer:
New Green to Internal Red /  1 New Black to Internal Black: Did Not Work

Second Attempt:
New Green to Internal Black / 1 New Black to Internal Red: Did Not Work

Third Attempt:
New Green to Internal Black / 2 New Black to Internal Red: Did Not Work

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing but at least I shut off all power to house when working on this. Any help is appreciated,

Answer
The green is a ground wire, and goes to the bare wires in the box.  If the house is old, and there are no ground wires, then it does not go to anything.  But, once you short a dimmer, it usually does not work, so you will probably need to replace it.  Either of the black wires go to where the old dimmer was connected. Green to bare wires in the box, or left disconnected.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle