Electrical Wiring in the Home/wall switch and outlet combo

Question
Hi Robert,
I have a 59797 GE wall switch and outlet combo.  It has  a a gold, yellow, and green (grd) on one side and a gold and silver screw on the other side.  No black screws.  How do I wire it so the switch controls the power to the socket?

Thank you.

Tom

Answer
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box! Death on a leash!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
Yellow? How about that?

Anyway,the brass and "yellow" screw on the same side SHOULD, unless I miss my guess, share a common mounting plate - meaning that there is a jumper between at the plate's rear between the two terminals or there is actually one solid plate with two threaded holes in it and then yellow and brass screw inserted.

If that is the case, the "hot" [black] ungrounded conductor is connected to the single brass screw on the same side as the silver screw.

The neutral [white] grounded conductor is connected to the silver screw. This is, in common parlance, your "neutral" - strictly speaking it is not a neutral, but we won't go there. It is your zero reference current carrying conductor.

The bare wire is the grounding conductor and is connected to the green terminal, which is connected to the device yoke and the receptacle ground.

The device is usually wired with the "hot" on the side with the two brass screws, so that the receptacle is hot and the switch controls the brass screw on the side with the neutral terminal below the switched "hot"
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
*  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber