Electrical Wiring in the Home/Adding a feed to the meter

Question
Hello, here is the setup.  In my house I already have 400 amp service, 2 200amp boxes on the first floor.  We have a walk out basement that is unfinished and has 2 or 3 circuits running off the main breakers.  All of our walls are foam insulated, so I would really prefer to not have to rip open a wall and the insulation to run new wiring into the 2 boxes we have, they are also in a cramped spot.  

So the question I have been trying to get answered, can I run a second feed off the utility meter to a third breaker box in my basement?  I realize the power company has to get involved, etc, but is that setup legitimate.

Answer
Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is death on a leash!
*
There are limitations to the addition of disconnecting means to a service entrance regarding number, location and grouping. The variables are too complex to explicate here.
That being said, you haven't provided sufficient information, so the simple answer is maybe yes, probably not.
Send photos [distance shots] of service entrance, existing panels and proposed location of new equipment. Also include existing load information and proposed additional load per Article 220 of NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code) as adopted by your local “Authority Having Jurisdiction”.
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber