You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/Burning wire smell and GFI Outlet gets very hot and shuts down

Advertisement


Question
Hi, My name is Karen, I rent a half double home and about 2months ago started to dry my hair n the GFI OUTLET kept clicking off smelling burning wires a lot breaker box kiss very warm to touch, told landlord's about the problem,they sent s handyman out to look at it and he discovered that the wiring isn't grounded.....what if anything could happen? Is there any fire hazard I should b aware of? Landlord's won't do anything to fix it so if you have any suggestions please let m e know, I have a 6 year old child and I don't feel safe

Answer
The wiring not being grounded is not a problem, but the burning smell is.  I would not use your hair dryer or any other heating appliance on that outlet at all. I would try using your hair dryer in the kitchen, where you should have outlets with more capacity.  I would keep bugging your landlord to get it fixed by an electrician, if a handyman just blows the situation off. Yes, a burning smell is a definite fire hazard.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Bob Sponaugle

Expertise

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.