Electrical Wiring in the Home/ceiling fan


Hi, one of the bulbs on my ceiling fan went out and when I started to remove it I noticed it had separated from the base.  There was a pop, spark, and the other lights on the fan went out.  I checked the circuit breaker but it had not tripped.  I tried turning the breakers off then on, but no luck.  I checked all the GFI's in the house and none had tripped.  There appears to be no power to the fan or its lights.  The fan is on a wall switch.

Can you help identify and fix the problem?   Thanks!


When the bulb shorted out, it damaged the wiring somewhere.  If you have a dimmer, it is the most likely. Otherwise, it could be the wiring to the light kit, or the switch, or the light kit itself.  You may need to get a cheap tester and see where you have power, and where you don't.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.