Electrical Wiring in the Home/ground plug

Question
Hi Robert,
I bought a very small chest freezer to put in my basement.  I live in an older home and have only a few 3-prong outlets upstairs, but where I want
to plug my freezer in is not 3-prong.  The man at the appliance store told
me to buy an adapter and it would be fine.  I just read the Care & Use booklet and it says NOT to use an extension cord or adapter.  So I should not
use the adapter, right?  Would it be expensive or a big job for an electrician
to make that outlet a grounded 3-prong socket?  Thank you!

Answer
Funny you should ask....

Define expensive....

As to how big a job it would be, it could vary from a nominal task if there is a suitable power source immediately available - since you have an ungrounded outlet at the location I would guess that may not be the case. There may or may not be a ground available at the existing location or it may be possible to derive a ground locally. Other than that, it could cost anything.

What is the current required by the freezer?
Does it require a new circuit to be installed?
Where is the panel?
Where is the freezer going in the basement?

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber