Electrical Wiring in the Home/grounded plug

Question
Hi,  I bought a small chest freezer from PC Richards. I told the salesman I would be plugging it in an outlet in my basement and since I live in an older home, I didn't think it was a 3-prong plug.  He told me that was ok, go next door to Home Depot and get an adapter, which I did. Today I unpacked the freezer and read the Care & Use booklet which says do NOT use an adapter or extension cord.  So I shouldn't plug it in, right?  Would it be expensive and a big job for an electrician to make that outlet a 3-prong outlet?  Thank you.

Answer
Hi.

The ground is there for your safety and doesn't affect the way the freezer operates.  If there is a ground wire in the box, then it would be simple to just change the plug.  However, if there is no ground wire in the box, then the electrician would have to run a wire from the outlet to the panel box.  It depends on how close the panel is to the outlet, if it is a big job or not. You can have a 3 prong plug without a ground wire if you use a GFCI, however a GFCI could trip and spoil your food, so it is not a good idea with a freezer.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle