Electrical Wiring in the Home/sparking main panel grounding wire

What would cause continuous sparking, fairly large sparks, at a grounding clamp connection from a main panel. Connected to a Col water pipe of painted copper.

This sounds pretty serious.  Most likely, there are some loose wires in and around the panel.  It is also theoretically possible that the problem is coming from a neighbor's house and the electricity is coming through the metal pipes. If it still sparks after you turn off your main breaker, then it would indicate a neighbor's problem.

This is probably something more than a homeowner can handle, and since it is a fire hazard, I would get an electrician to look at it ASAP.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.