Electrical Wiring in the Home/Three prong plug

My son has an amplifier for his guitar and the power cord's three prong plug ground separated from the plug. Is it OK to continue using the amplifier? Would I accomplish the same thing by plugging the amp (which now is missing the ground) into one of those inexpensive adapters that convert a two prong to three prong plug?

The adapter will do no good.

The third prong is for safety.  Just like a seat belt, you may never need it, or it may save your life. I would recommend getting a new 3 prong male plug and installing it on the wire.  Read the instruction on the plug and make sure you get the right wire on the right screw.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.