Electrical Wiring in the Home/Clamp connectors

Question
Clamps
Clamps  
Hi bob,

Im a DYIer that got into some electrical work at my house in New York City. I installed some new high hats and new outlets in the wall where there was lacking. I used BX wire (12-2). However, I just realized I used these clamp connectors that say "non-metallic"! Is this an issue? If so what is the issue? Is it a grounding problem since the BX Armor is the ground? Or can I leave these in place and be completely safe?

Answer
I would use the correct ones.  If you ever have a problem, someone may blame the wrong clamps, even if it wasn't the cause of the problem. If you go to sell your house, an inspector may find the wrong ones, and make you change them, at a time that may not be convenient.

The two problems I might see is the grounding issue, and the clamp crushing the metal into the plastic covering. You can check and see if the ground is working, and look and see if the wire plastic cover is damaged.  The clamp should also hold the cable in so that it doesn't come out and cause a strain on the wires inside.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle