Electrical Wiring in the Home/Identifying ge service panel

QUESTION: I have an older GE exterior serviced panel with a 200 amp TQDL21200 main breaker.  The label on the box has worn off, and there is no other identifying info in it.  The exterior dimensions of the panel oar 14 1/8 in wide by 20 1/8 in high.  The panel still has some usable slots below the main,and I would like to add double pole breaker to feed a sub panel.  How can I identify the service panel model and the type of breaker(s) to use?

ANSWER: Robert Wilber
Philadelphia Licensed Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
Electricity is fire in a box! Death on a leash!
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) [downloadable GFI safety pdf]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
Unless you have a bolt-on panel, GE breakers have been the same for forty years.
THQL full-size 1" breakers are for common residential applications. Look at the breakers for the individual circuits to determine type, not the main.

QUESTION: Will the box then also accept the 1/2 size GE breakers?

Well, it depends.
Not all GE panels were built built to accept half-width breakers. Those that were [a 16/24 circuit panel, for example] have a different bus bar than those which will not [a 16/16 panel].
Your electrician will know from looking at the bus, or you can go to a big box store which sells GE panels and look at the bus on a combination panel. [You likely noticed that GE slim breakers connect in a different manner]
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair