Electrical Wiring in the Home/Led bulbs

I have 100W or 120W incandescent recessed floodlights in every room of my home, maybe 25-30 in all, some on dimmers and some not. They are slowly burning out and incandescent floods are no longer available. I am confused about the capability of CFL or LED bulbs to handle dimmers. I understand some bulbs are compatible with dimmers and some are not. but I also have read that the incandescent dimmers themselves may need to be replaced to work with the CFL or LED bulbs.do I need to replace the dimmers as well when I get new bulbs?

Yes. It is quite a pain in the neck
You need to check compatibility of lamps and dimmers with manufacturers. Not even all LEDs work on a given LED rated dimmer. Get the lamp info and call the dimmer manufacturer support number to check if they have a dimmer that supports the lamp.

I have had to use three different dimmers on some jobs because there were different lamps
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair