Electrical Wiring in the Home/Unconvential Wiring

Question
WHsplit
WHsplit  
I'm trying to settle a mild tenant problem. I replaced the Water Heater 3 years ago when the problem wasn't a problem. I don't have room for another Water Heater, literally. And, splitting the Water Heater elements isn't fair since they don't both do heating top-offs.

I'm looking to get some feedback on an idea I had...your ideas on what I might be missing.

It's an upstairs downstairs rental with a single phase double-drop to 2 Meters & of course separate electrical panels. It's a partial basement, a built-in shed with Electric Panels, Stairs with exterior door beneath, HVAC & Laundry Appliances leaving just a 30-inch walkway...but fully finished, clean & dry.

I can't get my setup on camera, so I made & attached a mockup.

Questions:

Should it not be done for any reason beyond being unconventional?

Any problem mounting both neutrals & grounds to the new Subpanel?

Would GFCI or AFCI breakers help or just, usually, nuisance trip?

Thanks.

Answer
Connecting two separate services together is never a good idea. It could lead to a shock or a fire. If one side gets disconnected, it may try to pull all the power from the other side.  Someone working on the wires thinking the main is off could get shocked from feedback from the other side. The tenants may not like it anyway, because one may use a lot more water than the other.

Both elements are never on at the same time.  The top one comes on until the top of the tank is hot, then it switches to the bottom element.  The water always comes from the top of the tank. The cold water sinks to the bottom of the tank.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle