Electrical Wiring in the Home/Water shock

Advertisement


Question
What does it mean when I run water in either the tub or sink and I get a electric shock.it does not happen when I take a shower but when I go to turn off the water I get shocked.

Answer
It is a grounding problem.  Make sure that the ground wire is tight from the panel to the water pipe. Also make sure there are no plastic interruptions in the metal water pipe. This includes a plastic water filter, plastic couplings, tees, etc. There must be a continuous metal path from ground wire to outside in the ground. Also make sure that the neutral wire is tight in the your panel and makes a path to power company's wires.

If you can't find a problem, you should call an electrician since it may take specialized tools and knowledge to track down the problem.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Bob Sponaugle

Expertise

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.