Electrical Wiring in the Home/Adding an outlet to an existing breaker

Is it possible to add an outlet in my basement to be on the same circuit as the outlets in my bedroom upstairs.

As far as the code, it depends on local codes. Some places require 20 amp circuits, some do not.  If the basement area is unfinished, you would need to use a GFCI outlet.

As far as common sense, it depends on what you plan to use the outlet for. If you would use it for a heater or anything else that uses a lot of electricity, you should not connect it to the bedroom.

It would be best to have a separate circuit for the basement, if you can do it.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.