Electrical Wiring in the Home/Aluminun wire

Question
Can I join together copper wire with aluminum? I want to add an outlet and the nearest wire to branch off of is aluminum.
Thanks for your time.
Ken

Answer
You have to use special wire nuts that are made for splicing copper and aluminum together.

With aluminum wiring, you need to be very alert. It should be checked out by an electrician every so often. You need to be aware of any devices that get warm, or any flickering.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle