Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bedroom Switch Problem

Question
Hi Bob,

My bedroom switch next to door doesn't work because of wiring problem not the switch. There is an outlet under bedroom window without power no matter the switch is on or off. My guess is they are related. The weird thing is that there 125 v between white wire of the switch and earth, and there is 20 v between black and white wires of switch, and there is 0 v between black wire of switch and earth. It looks like the white wire is hot and black is not hot. But I don't understand why 20 v between black and white. There is another outlet associated with same brake in the hallway works fine. How can it be diagnosed and fixed.

Thanks and regards,

Yan

Answer
Crazy readings are caused by a white wire not making contact somewhere. The reading is caused by feedback going through something turned on or plugged in.  It could be in the outlet, or it could be in the outlet before that outlet, even if it works. (Because it could be the wire coming out of the outlet that does not work.)  Check all the white wires. Check under the wire nuts, and move any wires pushed into the back of the outlets to the screws on the side.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle