Electrical Wiring in the Home/outside lamp post

Question
Hi, Bob. This here is a question from GA. I have an exterior lamp post that does light up...only when I do the following--connect one wire from the fixture to one wire from the ground that is coming up through the pole and the other wire from the fixture is touching the metal pole. It works that way and I know that's not right. There are only two wires coming up from the pole and they are wrapped in fabric and I can't tell anything about the color of them. I don't even know where to ground this thing b/c the light fixture obviously has three wires-black, white, and copper. I'm knowledgeable-ish, but this one has me stumped. Thanks for any help.

Answer
It sounds to me that the pole may be grounded, and the wire coming up that works is the hot wire. The white neutral wire is probably disconnected somewhere.  It's not really safe to use the ground as one of the wires.  You should check the other end of wire at the switch, make make sure the neutral is connected there. You can also see if the cable has a ground it in it, at that point

There shouldn't be any fabric on the wires. If the wire is underground, then it should be UF cable, which is all plastic with no fabric or paper.

You may have to replace the wire, which is a pain, because you'll have to dig up the yard. The wire is normally buried 24 inches into the ground
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle