Electrical Wiring in the Home/Outside lamp post


QUESTION: Hi Greg, we communicated earlier this week about an issue I was having with an outside lamp post with a faulty ground. Well, this morning I dug up my yard and cut out the damaged looking wire and cut it off. I then connected a lamp post head to the freshly cut wire just to see if I got power and I did. That didn't happen with the old crusty wire. However, when I screwed the lightbulb in, the meter didn't register any power and the light didn't come on.  Do you know why this is the case. Is there possibly still a short somewhere. I would appreciate your insight on this matter. Thanks.

ANSWER: When you first connected the lamp post head to the freshly cut wire did the light bulb come on, or did you just measure voltage?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: no light, just measured voltage.

You have to put a load on it next time. What you still have is a broken neutral wire.

My guess is that if you were to connect your white to ground again at the post the light will turn on.

If it were me, I would run a whole new line or if that is too costly/difficult I would simply go solar.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Greg Hughes


Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.


34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.