Electrical Wiring in the Home/switched receptacles

Question
QUESTION: We are working with 220-240 volt 20 amp receptacles.
There is a small switched version of a 120-240 volt 20 amp duplex receptacle where the top half is a switch and the bottom half is a receptacle but I believe the switch is only to control a light and does NOT control the lower receptacle itself ??
First .... could this 120-240 volt switch/receptacle combo be re-wired to make the switch control the power to the receptacle and if yes, would it only work on 120 because I assume the switch would be single pole ?  ... or could it be wired to control 240 volts through the switch to the receptacle
Second ... If you can't run 220-240 thought the switch, is there a different heavy duty version ( but the same physical size ) available that will let you run the receptacle half through the switch half. ? .... a Nema 6-20R on the bottom with a controlling switch on the top half.
I'm trying to keep this switch plug combo contained in a standard knock-out box rather than having to go to a large wall mounted switch.
Thanks

ANSWER: No, because the switch is single pole, you can not use it for 240 volts.

QUESTION: o.k.  so a standard 120-240 volt single pole switch won't work but "if" I can find 2 pole switch in combination with a receptacle will that work ?
.... and do you know of such a combination ?
I currently have a system that seem to work but I don't understand why.
I have one leg of a 240 line going through a separate detached switch ( I think it's a single pole ) and that leg is connected to one side of a 120-240 receptacle. The 2nd leg of the 240 volts by-passes the switch and goes directly to the other side of the receptacle.
When the switch is in the off position, I have 56 volts at the receptacle which is not enough to even turn the small 240 motor that I have plugged into the receptacle.
When I turn the switch to the on position I have 240 volts at the receptacle and the motor runs fine.
Not sure why this is.
However I am trying to change this to a single duplex receptacle with the top half being the switch and the lower half being the receptacle.
Can you explain this phenomena and how to set it up the way I want

Answer
No, I don't know of a switch in combination that is double pole.  By code, anything that is 240 volts has to have both sides turned off.  For example, a 240 baseboard heater must use a double pole thermostat.  This is because someone can get shocked thinking something is off, when it still has current in it.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle