Electrical Wiring in the Home/con/fused line

Question
Hi, with old federal pacific boxes full,previous home owners added a number of single gang fused switches to expand boxes. One box has a #12 wire coming from a 50amp breaker down to a 15 amp fused switch. This in turn leads out to a #14 wire and a #12 wire nutted together. The #12 wire leads to an outlet that supplies only the digital clock on a stove. The #14 wire leads to an in floor heating system on the second floor. Short of changing out the entire box,would replacing the #12 wire from the 50amp breaker w/a #14 offer any better fuse protection or should I just leave well enough alone? Thanks. JS

Answer
I'm not sure what you mean by a fused switch.  But there seems to be a lot of trouble with what they did.  First of all, Federal Pacific circuit breakers are generally not safe, and should be replaced. There is no problem with a 12 and 14 connected together, as long as it has a 15 amp breaker.  However, all outlets in the kitchen should be a 20 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire.  With only a gas stove on it, it should be OK, but still violates code. I am not sure of the amperage rating of the floor heating system, but with 14 gauge wire, it needs to be less than 15 amp rating, and should be on a 15 amp breaker. Nowhere should 12 or 14 gauge wire should be connected to a 50 amp breaker. If it shorts out, it may get hot enough to start a fire, but not hot enough to trip the breaker.

Number 12 wire is thicker than 14, so it is OK with a 15 amp breaker.  But where it is mixed with number 14, it has to be on a 15 amp breaker.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle